Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It is hard to believe that we have been back in Lima for three weeks. On one hand it seems like only yesterday that we were visiting with family and friends in the States. But on the other, it feels like we never left Peru. The rythym that took several months (about five, to be exact) to develop and seemed destined to dissolve during our visit in July has been reinstated, with improvements. We are thriving, though not without dificulties, in our new home.

Raechel, Lily, and Eli are in their thrid week of homeschooling. Raechel is amazing, a truly gifted teacher, and the kids have displayed a ravenous appetite for learning. Zeke and Chi returned to school without incedence and seem to be enjoying their time at the jardin de ninos. I have been spending as much time as possible with the youth and trying to figure out how to best organize my time in the office. I'm still learning the ropes, and the ropes are long...

My time with the youth has been rich. I have gone to visit kids who have left the streets, now living in shacks tenously clinging to the side of a nearly vertical hillside. I have been playing soccer every Wednesday with my friends at La Flecha. Friends who still call the streets home and who continue to struggle to believe that God loves them and has created them for something more. I have attended a Bible study where youth that have left the streets gather to learn more about the God who, in Jesus Christ, has rescued them from their former hopelessness. I have learned a lot from my friends - about myself and about the Lord who loves them more than I do.

I have so many stories to share. Starting today, Raechel and I are committing to posting at least once a week. We want you to get to know my friends. We hope to keep you updated on how our family is getting along in Lima. We want you to feel connected to the ministry of Word Made Flesh. But most of all, we desire for you to grow closer to Jesus Christ. We would love for God to use these words to encourage, challenge, humble, and edify his people. We will pray to that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment